22 September 2008

One Year

September 15th is a day that changed my life forever. It is the day I left Fairmount Camp for South Carolina. I can still see myself standing by Bob Vardaman’s truck wondering if I could really drive someone elses truck pulling my car on a flatbed trailor. The answer was yes! I did drive and pull my car and I didn’t even crack up his truck.

I had no idea what lay ahead of us that day. I would never have chosen the path of the fire and the bad school experience for Jake. But I am so glad that we are where we are. I miss friends, family & church. But there is a great deal to be said for being where God wants you.

There have been some rough lessons learned this year. I have tried for so long to keep priorities straight that stuff is stuff and not important. The fire helped cement that idea in my heart. Even those things I thought were irreplacable, the dearest “things” in my possession, they turned out to be just things after all.

Then there was that lesson of worship being a choice. I remember Pastor Chris Williams preaching on worship years ago and telling us that. But so often I let circumstances, emotions, and distractions to keep me from real worship. I hated the thought of having to leave my church, it was home and family to me. It was where God had taught me so much and I was sure that I would never find a place to hear God that way again. Guess what, worship really is a choice. I have found a church family. It will never be the same, but God meets me there when I go looking for him.

And of course, there was the reminder of not needing to see the plan to know to follow it. I had no idea that we would be home schooling again or that I would be at home. I came looking forward to working. I had hoped to be on campus with Mark by now. We have bills to pay, a house payment in Marion and rent in Central, but here I am. God rarely does things the way that I think he should. Than goodness!

It has been a year. I just thank God that we did it his way because facing even part of this without him would be unbearable!

2 comments:

Quakenbush's said...

Jenn,
A year already, thats amazing. We miss you guys.It sounds like a lot has happened, I didn't realize that you were home-schooling Jake. We are doing the same with ours. Hadn't planned on it, but it is for the best. Tasha's new number is 772-403-3742 mine is 772-341-1352 We get free calling after 7 pm we will have to call. Talk to you soon. Greg Q.

The Hofer Fam said...

Hey, you've been tagged. Check out my blog. Hope you are doing well this week.
Kristen